Do you want to know where should sit bones be on saddle? To give you a straightforward answer, your bones must sit properly flat on the saddle. In addition, the optimal and balanced saddle width ensures that you sit with comfort and ease.
If your bones do not sit or lie flat on the saddle, you will definitely feel pressure and discomfort in the sensitive areas. Women will experience uneasiness in the pubic arch if their bones fail to lie flat on the saddle.
Thus, position your bones flat to ensure comfort and a pain-free sitting process. Your bones and saddle must fit and sync like a pair of shoes.
Sit bone width to saddle width
As mentioned above, your bones must lie and position flat on the saddle. Such a positioning promises comfort, no pressure or pain in the sensitive areas, and no uneasiness in the women’s public arch. If you sit properly on the saddle, less pressure and more performance you will experience.
Guide to measure the sit bone distance and saddle width
It is essential to measure the saddle width and sit bone distance. You can follow the below-mentioned guide:
- Get a stool and sit on it. Get a measuring paper, keep your back straight. In addition, keep the shoulders back. Start pulling yourself a little bit down and generate pressure.
- You can now take measurements of the sit bone distance starting and ending from center to center.
- Choose the sitting position in which you are comfy sitting on the saddle.
- Add the value which corresponds to the recorded sit bone distance.
- Choose the saddle width that fits perfectly with your riding style. You can have the saddle width in dimensions like 12 cm, 13 cm, 14 cm, or 15 cm.
What happens when your bones do not sit comfortably on the saddle?
If the saddle width and sit bones distance do not match, you will sit with discomfort on the bike. Narrow saddles eventually lead to increased pressure and the inability to move the pedals efficiently. You experience awkwardness in the perineal area.
On the other hand, too wide saddles cause chafing. Your thighs rub against the seat sides. Furthermore, a wide saddle brings down the pedal efficiency, and it keeps on interfering with the pedaling mechanism.
The operations of aerodynamics have become worse. Even more, a wide saddle makes your legs spread out more and more, and the element of air resistance gets increased too.
What optimal saddle with promises?
The optimal and balanced saddle width promises comfort, ease, and a pain-free experience. You feel no pressure as long as you sit on the bike. It guarantees and endorses that your bones will sit and lie flat on the saddle. This practice relieves all sorts of uneasiness in the sensitive areas of riders. Hence, both men and women tend to ride with comfort.
The contact of the pelvis to saddle matters a lot. Too wide or too narrow a distance brings your body in an awkward position as long as you are riding. Most importantly, men’s optimal sit bone distance must fall between 6 cm and 16 cm. On the other hand, it needs to be between 9 cm and 17 cm in women.
The catchy part is that there are also some women-specific saddles so that their pubic arch area remains pressure-free and no uneasiness gets witnessed.
How to get the perfect saddle?
If your bones fail to sit flat on the bike, it means you have picked the wrong saddle. You can follow the below-suggested tips to find and look for the perfect saddle:
- Look for the saddle that matches your body, physique, and gender. For example, women sit better and with ease on a wider saddle.
- The shape of the saddle depends on your riding style. You need a robust saddle if you race on downhills and rough gravel. For riders who cycle for generally commuting, they need a lightweight saddle.
- Less-flexible people must go for a more rounded saddle. In addition, a flexible cyclist should prefer a flat saddle to put his body in a more stable position and enjoy more freedom of movement.
- Cyclists who are beyond flexible must try using a slightly curved saddle.
- Pick up the saddle that matches your riding position. You need a differently designed saddle if you ride in an upright or aerodynamic position. Choosing the wrong saddle will only bring numbness and pain to your body.
- Before picking a saddle, measure your sit bones width. Saddles are available in different widths, so choose accordingly.
- It is essential for you to adjust the saddle to the correct height. This practice will ensure a more efficient and perfect pedal stroke process.
- Moreover, keep the saddle in the horizontal form! You will undoubtedly experience uneasiness and slight discomfort if its nose has been pointing too up or down.
- Experts have recommended putting on a great pair of bib shorts while biking. This hack will give you a comfy sitting time, and your private body parts will feel no pressure.
- High-quality bib shorts are tight, come with no irritating seams, and are made of premium antibacterial fabric.
Conclusion on Where should sit bones be on saddle
Whether you are a road racer or triathlete, you must ride comfortably, pressure-freely, and without pain. This is only possible if your bones sit and lie flat on the saddle.
From the guide mentioned earlier, you might have understood all the details of finding the right and perfect saddles for your bikes. You must ride with ease and experience no uneasiness and distress in the private body parts of sensitive areas of your body.
Optimal saddle width is of huge significance. In addition, avoid getting a saddle that is too wide or too narrow. Choose the one that matches your sit bones distance. Thus, the right saddle ensures excellent pedaling efficiency. You will see no pain in any area of your body, and it supports your whole-body weight. Stay tuned with us.