There are many ways to tell you how to attach Bike trailer without coupler. You can follow bolt-on-hub, chain-stay frame mount, or seat post mount methods.
Who wants to know the easiest hacks to attach bike trailers without a coupler? If you are one of them, please go through the below-written details.
If you do not have a coupler for attaching a bike trailer, you can follow hacks like the bolt-on-hub method, chain-stay frame mount, or seat post mount method. You can even DIY the bike trailer coupler. Some people have found traditional couplers always messier and a big headache to use. In addition, such couplers wear and tear often and get loose too. So, see the details below regarding attaching the bike trailer without using a coupler:
Alternatives on How to attach bike trailer without coupler
You can certainly opt for these alternatives if you do not feel like using a coupler for connecting a bike trailer.
The Bolt-on-Hub Method/ Utilizing a steel hitch
This respective method needs a bolt-on-hub for attaching the trailer with your bike. Some like using a steel hitch instead of preferring traditional couplers. Moreover, a steel hitch is available in the same size; likewise, a coupler is followed by a similar installation process.
- The first step is to take off the axle nut and washer that is present on your bike rear wheel.
- Place the steel hitch by replacing the washer. A steel hitch possesses enough power and grip to keep the nut intact at its place.
- Align the hitch and make it fit properly.
- Properly tighten the axle nut as soon as you have inserted the pin.
- Get a safety strap and make it wrap through the frame,
- That is all! The bike trailer is attached without the utilization of a coupler.
If you have a pet at home then you will be in obvious need of a trailer for your pets and dog lovers, especially those who really love to bike with the dog. We have a specialized tailor-made post for these bikers which you can read below.
Top 10 Best Bike Trailers for Dogs That You Can opt for Biking Around Town
Instep Bike Trailer
|Buy NowRead Full Review|
The Chain Stay Frame Mount Method
Most importantly, this easy-to-follow method is backed by so many riders. It does not matter whether you are using a trailer for keeping groceries, kids, or pets; this method will work for you.
- Mount the V-shaped hitch section properly on the chain-stay frame.
- Turn the large knob of a hitch in a clockwise direction. Tighten it as much as you can.
- Look for the tube with two holes and insert one end of the bike trailer in it.
- The last step is to clip the safety strap.
Here you only have to tighten the hitch perfectly to the seat post, and the trailer will conveniently get attached to your bike. This one is a budget-friendly method that you can try out. A little effort is needed. Moreover, you witness no compatibility issues. It actually does not matter what your seat post size is or what its diameter is! The hitch will get ideally fit.
DIY method to make a hitch for attaching the bike trailer
We have come up with the most straightforward DIY alternative. You can now make a hitch from the comfort of your home, and there is no need to use a coupler as well for attaching the bike trailer.
You need a complete swivel caster set, a cross bracket for mounting antenna holes, and a self-locking nut.
Step by step guide
- Take off the axle bolt and remove the wheel.
- Get the cross bracket.
- Make a hole in it. This is necessary so that the bolt can get perfectly fit in it.
- Attach the caster to the cross-bracket with the help of a self-locking nut.
- If you think that the bolt is of excessive length, you can cut it short with the grinder.
- The last step is to attach the hitch to the bike seat post. In addition, tighten the bolts, install the trailer bar, and secure it with a safety lock.
- You can also use a simple adapter to attach the trailer. Those bikes packed with through-axle wheels and hooded-style kinds of dropouts need an adapter for joining the trailer with bikes.
A classic bike trailer recommendation
InStep Bike Trailer Reviews: A comprehensive Guide
So, what’s the bottom line? The guides, as mentioned earlier, undoubtedly work perfectly and securely, attaching a bike trailer without needing a coupler. Let us know which method you find easy and quick to follow. And if you follow some other attacks for attaching the trailers with bikes, let us know about those tips too!
I hope we were able to educate you regarding your query. Please subscribe to our blog at bikedestiny.com as it gives us more passion to work tirelessly on content generation for our fellow bikers. Last but not least don’t forget to bookmark this page for future updates. Happy reading to all awesome bikers out there.